However i hadnt really taken into account how much wool i had on hand. I was also a bit rusty when it came to my tension being too tight. So combined with many rows spent trying to remember what purl stitch was i ended up with a 2/3 sized tea cosy that was too wide for my small tea pots but too short for a full size tea pot.
So it just wasnt going to work as a tea cosy and i unraveled it all to start again for the 2nd time.
I started quite well and after a few rows of purl i realised it was curling under and remembered the need for knit1/purl1 to create ribbing. However i was a bit distracted and the time and couldn't always recall if i'd knitted one or purled one so there were a few rows of half-arsed ribbing. I then realised that i had been a bit carried away with casting on and after a few rows i could see that it was going to be too wide for a tea-cosy.
With a bit of help from my Meet Me At Mikes Crafy Projects book i casted off a few stiches and ended up with those interesting curly bits. Then the more i knitted the more i thought that it just isnt going to be a good tea-cosy but it will make a fun scarf.
So i've got enough wool to make purple/red/chartreuse scarf that will have a few curly bits as i cast off but i'm making decent progress to be able to wear it this winter.